A Community Conversation with Hall-of-Fame Coach David Crowell
Ft. Washington, PA--Dave Crowell is one of the most prolific and accomplished high school wrestling coaches actively coaching in the United States. The Germantown Academy Wrestling Family is proud to invite all parents of wrestlers to join Coach Crowell at Germantown Academy in the Honickman Auditorium on Sunday, October 21st at 3:00 pm for a conversation about parenting within the sport of wrestling.
The number of opportunities available within the sport of wrestling are at an all-time high (clubs, tournaments, camps, clinics, etc). But, determining which of these pathways will benefit your child the most is not so easy to figure out. Questions like these will be considered during Coach Crowell’s talk:
- How many matches should a child have in a season?
- How critical is it to have the best partners?
- How long should workouts be in order to get the most out of them?
- How important are private lessons?
- Should my young wrestler participate in more than one sport?
- What should I do in order to support my son/daughter within the sport--what exactly, is my role as a parent?
- What is the most important character trait for a wrestler to develop?
While Coach Crowell has churned out champion wrestlers on the mats for well over three decades, anyone who knows him will tell you that he is even more accomplished when it comes to helping young people become champions in life. Character, values and a strong moral compass are at the center of Coach Crowell’s teachings. It is from this vantage point that Coach Crowell will share his wisdom on parenting within the sport.
Click here in order to register and pay online. Tickets are $5/person and you can pay at the door.
Sunday, October 21, 2018
Germantown Academy’s Honickman Auditorium
(340 Morris Road, Ft. Washington, PA 19034)
Coach Crowell’s Phenomenal Career
- 33 years as a head wrestling coach (including Nazareth, Wilson Area, Easton)
- Career coaching record: 513-132-1
- Six times named Pennsylvania Wrestling Coaches Association State Coach of the
Year (2017, 2007, 2002, 2001, 1983, 1981)
- National Wrestling Hall of Fame (inducted 201 4)
- Pennsylvania Wrestling Coaches Association Hall of Fame (inducted 2006)
- 2007 National Wrestling Coaches Association (NWCA) National Coach of the Year · 2001 National High School Coaches Association (NHSCA) National Coach of the
- Teams have won a total of 11 state championships (7 individual & 4 state dual meet tourneys)
- Teams finished 1st or 2nd ten (10) times & in the top six on sixteen (16) occasions
- Thirteen (13) of the last nineteen (19) teams ranked nationally
- Has coached twenty-one (21) PA state wrestling champions (2nd most in PA history)
- Has had a state finalist for the last 18 (eighteen) consecutive years
- Has coached a total of 42 state finalists (and at least one finalist in 26 of his 33 years)
- Has coached 89 state place winners, 67 regional champions and 83 district champions
- Has had twelve (12) wrestlers compete in the Pittsburgh Wrestling Classic
- The only wrestling coach in Pennsylvania to reach the following milestones:
- Coach at least one state champion at three (3) different schools
- Coach at least one wrestler in the state finals for 18 consecutive years
- Win at least one state individual tournament at three (3) different schools
- Win more than 100 dual meets at three (3) different schools
- Be voted state coach of the year in both the AAA and in the AA classifications
- Be voted state coach of the year six times
- Be voted state coach at the year while coaching at three different schools
- Past member of the National Wrestling Coaches Association (NWCA) Board of Directors and NWCA Executive Committee member (2011-17)
- Founder and chief operator of “Coaching Beyond the Victory”, a coaching education and leadership company designed to educate leaders in sports toward better performances, deeper relationships, and more meaningful life experiences